Wellness
Woman has unexplainable symptoms and forgets own name then discovers the cause is in her house
She had undergone various medical tests, but doctors couldn't explain what was happening to her.
Caryl Jane Espiritu
09.08.22

We are all created in a unique way.

Some of us may look like each other but there will always be parts of us that set us apart from the rest.

YouTube - 7News Australia
Source:
YouTube - 7News Australia

Unfortunately, one Australian woman discovered this in a not-so-pleasant way.

Amie Skilton moved into her apartment five years ago. At the time, she did not know that her life would someday be put in danger all because of her body’s unique way of reacting to black mold.

She did not even know that she had this kind of reaction to black mold.

Pexels - Luis Quintero
Source:
Pexels - Luis Quintero

A water leak started it all.

Leakages in pipings around the house are quite common. It can sometimes lead to moist areas around the house but nothing a plumber can fix, right?

In the apartment where Amie and her husband lived in 2016, there was a leak that led to the carpet being soaked. This was not out of the ordinary, but what the couple did not know was that this leak and moisture had led black mold to grow in that particular area of the house.

Pexels - Pixabay
Source:
Pexels - Pixabay

Amie started feeling sick and felt various symptoms.

“I started getting sick, noticeably sick, about two months in,” she said. “It may have taken that long just because it was over summer and it was really sunny, we always had the windows open and we never registered that there was a leak at all.”

Her body was starting to react to the mold growing underneath her carpet. Because of her genetic make-up, Amie started gaining weight, and her brain function went down.

YouTube - 7News Australia
Source:
YouTube - 7News Australia

Days were filled with confusion and nights were full of restlessness.

Amie simply could not understand what was happening to her.

“Some days I couldn’t figure out how to get dressed. I would look at clothes and … just be really confused as to, like, how to put them on,” she said, noting that she had trouble remembering simple things.

Pexels - Janson K.
Source:
Pexels - Janson K.

It was a scary ordeal – and everything got worse.

Amie recalled that at one point, she even forgot her name.

“I went fill out a form one day and I was staring at the box that said my name and I was like, ‘what is it again?’ I was staring at it, searching for it,” she said.

YouTube - 7News Australia
Source:
YouTube - 7News Australia

The woman underwent various tests but no one could determine why this was happening. Her results came back normal and the couple simply could not understand what was happening.

It seemed Amie was showing signs of sudden Alzheimer’s despite her young age.

The culprit was finally revealed after a biologist visited the building and uncovered the cause of Amie’s confusion.

YouTube - 7News Australia
Source:
YouTube - 7News Australia

The carpet was removed and their mattress was checked. And there it was underneath the carpet, the patch of black mold that was causing the haywire in her brain. Underneath their mattress, was green mold.

The worst thing was that the building owner knew it could happen, and the couple was never informed.

Unknowingly, they were being poisoned and it almost drove them to far worse scenarios.

YouTube - 7News Australia
Source:
YouTube - 7News Australia

Amie now advocates for the awareness of what black mold can do to a person, and for having the building checked before residing in it.

Know more about this story by watching the video below.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

By Caryl Jane Espiritu
hi@sbly.com
Caryl Jane Espiritu is a contributor at SBLY Media.
Advertisement
Advertisement